Poor sleep hygiene might be killing you, and your career.
According to the Division of Sleep Medicine at the Harvard Medical School, working late into the night is a health and productivity killer. The negative effects of sleep deprivation are so great that people who are drunk outperform those lacking sleep. Imagine trying to finish that last bit of work off after a few wines or beers?
Sleep like your life depended on it
Sleep is governed by brain activity, and works on rhythms. We consistency where possible, and we need to remind our brain when it’s night, and it’s time to switch off. And remember, you’ll actually be helping your health, increasing your productivity when you are awake, and give yourself more energy to do the things you want to do.
Top 5 tips to improve poor sleep hygiene
- Set your bed time – Yay, do you feel like a 5 year old? Good, because they sleep like a log. Having a regular time you go to bed, gets your brain into a rhythm. It gets to know that this is bed time. Hormone changes will begin to occur to prepare your brain and body to switch off
- No lights, even small ones – That little red LED from your TV standby can be enough to ruin your body clock and sleep. The glow from your alarm clock. The flickering of your phone from a silent message. Any of these little things can affect it. Which brings us to the next item
- No phones in the bedroom – Switch off and dis-engage from the world. Your phone connects you to the world in so many ways now, so it’s important to let it go, when you go to bed.
- Blue Light – Blue light comes from screens such as TV’s, Smartphones, and Tablets. Set yourself a cut off time an 30 mins to an hour before bed. It has been shown that this light stimulates your brain, tricking it, and keeping it engaged.
- Write a list – A million thoughts running through your head? Put them on paper. This get’s it out of your head, and onto the page. And you know you can go over it in the morning.
Can Chiropractic Help?
Let’s think about this logically. When we hold tension in our bodies, are muscle’s contract and become tight, our shoulders become raised, our spine feels stiff and we feel rigid. At night, trying to switch off our mind and relax our body is important to help drift off to sleep. Chiropractic has been shown to help remove tension, and increase mobility and movement in the body. Postural changes after an adjustment can help relax muscles and get other muscles switched on again.
Book With Us Today
If you are suffering from stress, tension and poor sleep, than get in touch with us today. Chiropractors are trained to examine and diagnose the spine, getting to the cause of your problem. Click here to book online, or call to get in touch for an introductory check up on 08 8333 3455